SC

Friday, August 26, 2016

She-Ra Masters of the Universe Princess of Power – Mattel MOTU Exclusive for San Diego Comic-Con 2016

Although Mattel had a hand in designing Masters of the Universe Princess of Power She-ra, she is not to be confused with Barbie.

What is she then?


She is 11 inches tall and highly articulated with doubled jointed elbows and knees, hip swivels, and toe joints. She has pretty blue eyes, rosebud mouth, and rooted blonde hair.

Does that description sound like a cross between an Action Figure and a Fashion Doll to you?

The commonly accepted use of action figure implies “for boys” and dolls implies “for girls” but forgetting that for a moment, all I really wanted to know was could heavy articulation help or impede her should she choose to walk the catwalk.

After inspection, I allotted scores:

Facial Screening: 8/10. I would have given it a 10 but the red eye-shadow is gosh awful.

Hair: 8/10. She lost points for the hideous widows peak, and there was too much of it, which is common among FDs. But she gained points for its silky texture and because the rooting of it was done without the use of ghastly glue.

Articulation: On articulation alone it’s a 10, but in terms of fashion doll aesthetic it’s a 3/10 for unsightly joints.

Size: 3/10. Her height of approximately 11 inches wins her a solid 10, but her hands and feet drastically reduced the overall score. Hands should have been smaller (high points, though, for being changeable and for coming with three pairs), but it was her feet that really kicked the score to the gutter. They are massive and AF all the way. The feet are not removable and even if I were to drill them out, I doubt that Made-To-Move Barbie feet would fit. (The hand pegs of MTM are not the same size as She-ra’s).

Body femininity: 9/10. Lovely breasts and sweet nipped waist. But weird shoulders (see articulation) and I wasn’t sure about the muscular thighs, though I don’t entirely dislike them either. Likewise, the muscular arms. I give the body an overall high score because I rather like the diversity.




Could She-ra walk the catwalk? Probably not. She’s more AF than FD in my opinion and that is mostly because of the size of her feet. Mattel missed the mark again – they could have marketed this costumed figure/doll to comic fans and AF collectors alike, but also have given FD collectors a solid option for something different if only they had made the feet removable with pegs compatible to that of Made-To-Move. How simple would that have been?!

Cheers!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Ro!
    She is pretty, but I'm not so sure I'd get her. I'm not a fan of big feet. But I'd probably just re-body her on a MTM or one of my old fashionista bodies. Also glad they didn't use that nasty glue on her hair. Yuck!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should point out that her neck opening is different from babs - her head sits on a ball within the neck, so she is not a good candidate for rebodying. Plus I tend to think it would be a shame to lose her lovely breasts by giving her a different body. Thanks for leaving a comment, I hear you on the big feet. Dolly hugs!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this review, Ro! She-Ra has an interesting face, but I, too, would have a problem with the boot-feet. I don't mind big feet; the eternal boots though, no way. The widow's peak is too much also ... it should have been more subtle. Still, she's an attractive figure. Glad to see how you have her gussied up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with you, D. Not sure if she'll get gussied up again. My days are sorta over for trying to feminize femme figs.

      Delete
  3. The boobage is great (wish Barbie would go back to the DDs anyway), but I don't like these AF/FD hybrids Mattel has been making lately. Not my thing at all. I just wish they would make their regular dolls with the same chest proportions and removable hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of boobage, too - dollies should have variety. I don't mind the Mattel hybrids as long as they follow measurements of a FD. And removable hands are a dream! Wish Mattel would do it on all their dolls and not just MTM.

      Delete
  4. I think this She-Ra is pretty, but it's a shame about the large feet. I guess if Mattel was just aiming for an AF, she fits the bill. She looks well dressed in the outfit you selected for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jaye, she is pretty. It made me wonder why Mattel would aim for the AF market when she so easily could have transitioned to a FD if they'd just done the feet and hands well. Then they could have snagged the FD market, too.

      Delete
  5. I rather like this doll! I do have other female action figures, so the feet don't bother me so much.I have shoes that would work for her. I love your "glamorized" version of her. She looks great. I, for one, like the fact that she has a very athletic body. Not everyone has to be a fashion model! If she was made available to the general public, I think I would get her (if she had a reasonable price, that is!) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you and like the athletic body. That's why I scored it high. She won't be offered to the general public, though. She was an exclusive for the SDCC. I love that you have a collection of different shoe sizes! You're a girl after my own heart. :D

      Delete
  6. She looks great redressed! I know the big feet cause shoe issues in the dolly world, but looking at her body frame, those are the correct sized feet for her. She would look strange with Barbie sized feet. Her breast alone would cause a tip over without the balance of the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I oredered mine from mattycollector. I think Garret Sander did a great job and I hope will be more other SheRa characters like that in the future

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the precious information about this doll. Where did you buy it ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit I'm a little disappointed to hear about the size of her feet - making it impossible to find shoes for her, I'm assuming. That said, I love, love, love her muscular, articulated figure - she looks as she should look: heroic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I always love to hear from you. (◕‿◕✿)