SC

Monday, August 27, 2012

Repurposed Thrift store Finds (No. 2)

1:6 Scale Diorama using thrift store finds 


Recent visits to the local thrift store yielded some usable goodies. Typically, I scrub everything clean when I arrive home and leave them on my work table to dry. They were accumulating, so time to repurpose and create a dear little space.

The junk:


A pair of candle sticks. I know, ugly right? But they were only $1 and signed by the artist.  I guess *sheepish grin* that didn’t make them any prettier but, hey, I had a plan. 

The miniature pots, box and tray are no big deal, but I was feeling a country vibe coming on and these held promise. 

Six coasters with French scenery interested me, and since they were brand new and cootie free I snagged them. 

Vintage miniature Limoges plates can be found on eBay inexpensively, but these were cheaper at the thrift store and I didn’t have to pay shipping, so quite a satisfying find. 

But the “hit pay dirt” moment came when I scored this miniature frame. 

Get a load of the inlay work! Gorgeous! It set me back $16 but I was delighted by it.

The repurposing:


A repainted Franklin Mint cupboard houses the Limoges, and a soap gift box makes a sweet bureau to showcase the pièce de résistance which now frames a vintage fashion plate. The coasters became artwork, and the porcelain box became a container for my lady’s knitting and sewing supplies. 





The candlestick bases were removed, given a light spray of paint to deintensify the original design and color, and ended up as side tables. Pots always make suitable planters. 

Other items in the room are a repainted Byers Choice bench with cushions sewn by me, a carpet created by printing a design onto Avery printable fabric, and lamps using dollhouse miniature plant pedestals as bases, topped with repainted Gloria shades. Repainted Barbie house doors are framed out with wood trim purchased at Home Depot. The floor is wallpaper, also found at Home Depot. The floral wallpaper was printed by me.


Tea, anyone? 


*:··:*¨¨*:·.·:*¨¨*Cheers*:··:*¨¨*:·.·:*¨¨*


21 comments:

  1. I love the phrase "brand new and cootie free," lol. One thing I dislike about thrift shops and flea markets is OPC or "other people's cooties." Heh, heh.

    Scrolling through your photos, I felt like a kid being shown the howdunnit of a magician's tricks. Only "uncovering" the how and the what gave me greater respect for your ability to enhance and to recreate beautiful settings. Wow.

    Just noticed something. No Harper. Whoa, no Harper? The Power Team guys, the Joes, and the Kens are all curious ... where is their favorite presenter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I bring out a petite chaise, that rude little dolly will be sure to show up. Uninvited. I’ll have to fortify myself to deal with her shenanigans, but for you, your pt/joes/kens, I’ll make the sacrifice. ;)

      Delete
    2. Me, I wouldn't put you out, but the guys are Harper fans. The Kens admire her nerve, the PT guys think she's feisty, and the Joes dubbed her "Our Minx Harper." Shrug. Just passing gossip on ....

      Delete
    3. "Our Minx Harper?" I’m ROTFLMAO. Harper is pirouetting.

      Delete
  2. Ahh I have been MIA this summer but I still check your blog and the Roville site obsessively! What wonderful finds and even more wonderful repurposings!!

    I should head to the thrift store more often methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thrift store is a treasure trove. I hope yours is too. :D Also hope your MIA means you have been having a super nice summer.

      Delete
  3. Everything looks simply wonderful. So I guess finding cootie free thrift items are a must for creating the best dios!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muff. Cootie free certainly helps. LOL

      Delete
  4. Awe inspiring as usual. I was thinking of you when I went to the thrift store last week. I was channeling you and trying to find some really nice miniature goodies. Your antenna must have been dislodged because I got nuttin'. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. And much good luck. Finding an inexpensive little dio treasure is not as big a rush as getting a new doll, but close.

      Delete
  5. Pretty, D7ana is right you are like a magician your dio's are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm super pleased you approve. :D

      Delete
  6. Nice thrift store finds! Your thrift store seem to have alot of miniatures. I rather find anything of the sort. The model is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has surprised even me. I never had an iota of luck at Goodwill, but this one gets items regularly and places them in a little cabinet that I head to immediately. It was fun one day because I bought a bunch of minis and an elderly lady who had previously owned them was volunteering her time in the shop and was ever so happy to see my pleasure. The dear lady even offered me one for free! I truly hope you luck out one day at your thrift store.

      Delete
    2. Goodwill...really? I assumed you live in Paris or some romantic European location. My thrift stores in Texas NEVER (although I did find 2 miniature vases today) has anything close to what you featured. I love it and will look a LOT closer going forward.

      Delete
  7. Hello from Spain: I really enjoy your creations. This gorgeous lounge. Your work is awesome. I like all your furniture ... You buy nice things in those stores in your town ... keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a wonderful post - I really love seeing how you repurpose these finds! Your finished room is just wonderful and I love that bench you did the cushions for - what a great size it is for 1/6. So glad you let us see a pic with a model in it. I feel all satisifed after reading that post! ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Hippolyta. So thrilled you enjoyed it. :D

      Delete
  9. I love this room! I don't often find cool stuff at my local thrift shops, but sometimes I find things at festivals, fairs and art shows. Your dios are wonderful! I really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are perfect places to look. So happy to hear you found some little treasures. Isn’t it amazing what can be uncovered when we keep our eyes peeled? Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I always love to hear from you. (◕‿◕✿)