SC

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Big Beautiful Dolls


In my hobby, as in life, the one thing I like is diversity. Tallulah Belle brings that to Roville. Her softic figure adds another representation of fashion doll beauty. She is a former BBD.


Big Beautiful Dolls, Inc. was owned and operated by two African American women, Audrey Bell and Georgette Taylor. They were the creative force behind full-figured dolls, Dasia (African American), Dena (Hispanic) and Dawn (Caucasian). Initially designed in 1999, these dolls were created to give consumers a wider choice of fashion dolls to select from. Audrey and Georgette’s mission was to “offer inspiration through a doll that reflects and honors our fuller figured women… and to help young girls and women embrace a better self image of who they are.”



The dolls were made of vinyl and retailed for $59.95. Each model came dressed in an attractive velour evening gown accented by a sheer wrap trimmed with marabou feathers. They wore black nylon hose and black faux leather high heel shoes.

I purchased Dawn around 2006 and renamed her Tallulah Belle. I had a brief email exchange with Audrey about clothing for Tallulah and she indicated the company was considering a clothing line. Unfortunately that did not materialize and sadly the business is no longer in operation.

Fortunately, Tallulah Belle lives on. She has challenges, although not of weight nor color. Thanks to Audrey and Georgette she embraces her full size and ethnicity. She sees herself as a big sexy blonde which, of course, she is. No, Tallulah Belle’s challenges are with clothing! Or the lack thereof. She is, after all, a fashion doll and what’s the point of being a fashion doll if Mattel and Integrity are not producing a clothing line for full figured women? Her guardian (moi!) does not sew (at least not well), so I’ve had to be crafty about coming up with clothing for her. She thinks I’ve brilliantly acquired haute couture for her. I’m revealing to you it’s not. But don’t tell her that. hee hee

This week I came across a new outfit at the mall for her. So out of her box she came to proudly model it.







Tallulah Belle is all curves and isn’t afraid to show them. She’s loving how her stretchy black skirt (sock) hugs her womanly hips. The intense hue, tiered ruffles, and low décolletage of her top (BABW) creates a goddess effect.   








A woman wearing a diamond bracelet is a woman dressed elegantly. Tallulah Belle’s silver and diamond (toe ring) statement piece sparkles on her wrist and enhances her outfit. 

















Cheers!


(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.♥

20 comments:

  1. I love Tallulah Belle! I have Dena. I received her as a barter gift for a commission. I really hate they stopped making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on scoring Dena as a barter. I wanted her also, but like D7ana mentioned, the price was steep for a one-outfit doll, and especially since I knew extra clothing was going to be a challenge. Tallulah Belle sends her best regards to Dena. ;)

      Delete
  2. I love it!! I am always on the lookout for these girls.. they are pretty hard to find!

    I just adore unique and varied dolls. Everyone had a fit about the Kardashian barbie idea earlier this year but I was looking forward to a different type of body to work with! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to the Kardashian dolls also. Then I heard that because everyone was having a fit, Mattel scraped the project. Darn! The only consolation I have is that I suspect any larger figure Mattel produces won’t have an articulated body. Rosie O'Donnell and Prince William being examples (I won’t even get into their cartoonish grins). I can understand why a new company like BBD would shy away from the added expense of articulation, but that’s no excuse for Mattel. I want an articulated Kim Kardashian!

      Delete
  3. Tallulah Belle is cute! I love her new blouse. I have Dasia. I'd really love to have more clothes for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a BABW near you, they have adorable little fashions that will fit Dasia. :D

      Delete
  4. Tallulah Belle looks great in her new clothes! I have Dasia and just adore her! I was so disappointed to learn that there would no more Big Beautiful Dolls. What is BABW and how can I find out whether or not there is one in/near Atlanta. Dasia would looove to have more clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancilee. BABW is Build a Bear Workshop. You can usually find them in malls. If you locate one selling the Friends2B line, you will find excellent fitting options for Dasia. Here's a link to some photos of Tallulah modeling her Friends2B line of clothing. http://www.roville.net/Misc/Blog/bigbeautifuldoll.html

      Delete
  5. Nice dolls roville they have lots of weight

    Elijah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elijah. She's quite special - her weight adds a nice difference among the usual parade of slim FDs.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for the info on clothes that will fit theses plus size beauties. I have Dawn and Dasia...never got around to getting Dena...(sad face, bottom lip pouting-lol)Maybe one day I will luck up and find one...Sincerely, Ashleymae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I hope your Dawn and Dasia enjoy some new clothing. (◕‿◕)

      Delete
  7. I love these dolls,tried everywhere to buy them but no luck.I emailed the makers but no replies.Where can I buy them?Any help would be most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Anne. Will send you Audrey's email address. She may still have a couple in her personal collection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,Ro,thanks so much,I have emailed Audrey,really hope she can help :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to know about these! Rosie, and the Mammy doll by World Doll are the only fuller-figured dolls I've ever found. I sure think some good sewer could do well sewing for these larger ladies. Rosie's getting very tired of that red suit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much do they cost now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore her! I must find one and make her a whole wardrobe. I'm someone who got into collecting all my doll varieties because I do sew, haute couture is the air I breathe. I also knit and crochet to 1/6th scale and my lovely husband has agreed to help me make my amazing modernist bungalow to scale for them all to live in!

    I really hope to come across a BBD Dawn doll, she looks far more like me than any other doll I've seen. I don't understand why none of the BJD companies or perhaps Tonner Dolls don't make a limited run of articulated plus size dolls in a variety of ethnicities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I am looking for a Dawn doll to add to my BBD collection. Do you have any for sale or know who I may contact to purchase one from?
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your pictures and info and there is a chance to orders these dolls again

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I always love to hear from you. (◕‿◕✿)